[NUUG kart] Importing GNS data for Svalbard

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 00:13:35 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Edward Welbourne <eddy at chaos.org.uk>wrote:

> Lack of a
> copyright notice no longer implies public domain.

I am 110% aware of this, and it has, as far as I know, never been a
requirement in Norway. Please reread my message, and tell where I said that
the maps _are_ public domain.

1) No, once again, I did not say the maps _are_ public domain
2) No, public domain is not a term that applies under Norwegian copyright
law, but it is still sometimes uses to indicate "free for any usage".
3) No, noone should use copy from these maps, unless they know something
which I don't
4) YES, it is worth checking if these maps are free for any usage.
5) No, the fact that they are published without any copyright information
does not make them free.
6) YES, it is very uncommon to publish maps in Norway without copyright
information
7) YES, this "might indicitate" that hey are free for any usage.
8) No, they are not free because they lack copyright information

Who would be willing to clarify the license for these maps? A few things
indicate that Norsk Polarinstitutt actually intends their data to be freely
available.

9) No, that does not mean the data  _is_ freely available.

Since two people misunderstodd my previous e-mail, I hope I was clear this
time :-)

Did I mention that acopyright statement is not needed for the maps to be
covered by copyright?

 - Gustav