[NUUG kart] Possible copyright infringements from user located in Kristiansand, Norway

Erling Thingelstad ethingelstad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 09:39:45 CET 2010

I'm afraid I have to agree with Frode Roxrud Gill in his doubts.

When I started to add a few things to OSM about a year ago, I was very happy
to see that stallis had added so much. In fact, he had added so much detail
that I wrote him in OpenStreetMap and asked if he really had collected all
this data in a legal way. He answered that he had been driving a lot and had
also been a taxi driver, and had a lot of traces. I was in doubt, but
decided to accept his explanation. Now that Frode has had the same thoughts
as me, I am glad he raised the question here.

I had a look around my local area and found some odd things:

   - Way 38810231 goes from Odderhei Terrasse and is a combined driveway for
   one house and a bicycle road to a bus stop in Dvergsnesveien. When the
   bicycle road gets down to Dvergsnesveien it is blocked by a guardrail. A
   small car could possibly pass through on the right side and over the
   sidewalk, but it is obvious that you are not meant to drive here.

   - Way 38810230 does not exist at all. According to my GPS, there's a 2
   meter cliff here at the side of Dvergsnesveien.

   - I inserted the way 38785737 where Stallis had entered the two roads
   Korsvikhaven and Korsvikgrenda as a normal T crossing, but there is (for at
   least ten years) a short bicycle road between the two roads that is blocked
   for cars. I believe (but I am not sure) that Google maps had a T crossing
   here a year ago also, but Google have fixed it now.

   - The set of service ways starting with way 38908617 and going north and
   east of there is a skidpan training area that is not public, but only
   available for scheduled sessions. Google Maps also shows roads here. He can
   of course have had a session there, so it might be OK. To his defense, he
   has also added way 61350739 which is not shown in Google maps. I don't know
   the place well enough to say what this way is.

So just as Frode says, it would be best for all parts if stallis has
acquired his data in a proper way, but an investigation seems to be
appropriate.

Best regards,
Erling Thingelstad

Note: Cc to the Norwegian Openstreetmap mailinglist