VPN mellom noder som ikke kan nå hverandre med radio

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sat Nov 30 21:48:03 CET 2013

Vi har diskutert muligheten for VPN for å koble sammen mesh-noder som
ikke kan nå hverandre via radio.  Jeg spurte på #freifunk og fikk
følgende svar:

<pere> hi.  I'm involved in creating a mesh network in oslo, norway.
  and we are using batman-adv and hope to learn from the freifunk
  communities.
<pere> at the moment we are trying to figure out what vpn connections to
  use.  any advice for us there?
<roh> pere: i think everybody is using openvpn for vpn usecases in
  freifunk
<pere> roh: aha.  good to know.
<roh> there is something called fastd, but it seems to have trouble with
  some isp-provided routers
<roh> so a safe bet is openvpn, especially if you control both endpoints
<roh> http://bbb-vpn.berlin.freifunk.net seems to be the webinterface
  for a berlin based vpn concentator
<roh> +r
<roh> sadly everything is writte in german only atm ;)
<roh> http://bbb-vpn.berlin.freifunk.net/cgi-bin-make.html is the
  'manual page' how to replicate it
<pere> that is a problem for me.  english and norwegian are the two
  languages I can read. :)
<roh> try google translate.. shouldn be soo bad
<roh> its readable.. some words messed up, but the idea comes through.
<roh> bbb is the berlin back bone .. the idea is to build a backbone of
  solid, best case point to point links in the 5ghz band, and use that
  to connect the local 'mesh clouds'
<roh> the openvpn service is used to connect remote stations, too far
  out for a radio link to the rest of the 'local' mesh in the city
<pere> we hope to use vpn to bootstrap the mesh, as mst of our nodes are
  too sparse to reach each other.

Så jeg mistenker vi skal titte mer på openvpn og fastd. :)

--
Vennlig hilsen