Serval skal nå bruke mindre strøm

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Sep 13 19:04:34 CEST 2017

I forbindelse med gårdagens NUUG-møte om Freifunk  tok jeg en titt på
status for Serval, og ble gledelig overrasket over å se at det er mye
som skjer der for tiden.

Siste versjon skal i følge
bruke mindre strøm:

 * Greatly reduced power usage, particularly when no peers are
   present. In previous versions of the software, a CPU lock would be
   held whenever the software was enabled and connected to a viable
   Wi-Fi network. This would completely prevent the CPU from suspending,
   draining the battery in a matter of hours. In this release, Android
   alarms are used to wake up the CPU, holding a CPU lock for only a
   short time. While there are still improvements to be made in this
   area, the software may be able to remain enabled and connected to a
   Wi-Fi network without significantly impacting battery life.

 * Bluetooth has been added as a usable network transport. The addition
   of bluetooth support has the potential to greatly simplify the
   process of discovering and connecting to other phones.

 * Better support for more recent versions of Android. Android 5.0
   requires that native binaries are compiled in a way that isn't
   supported on version before 4.1. So we must now include 2 sets of
   compiled binaries.

 * Improved user feedback while networks are turning on and off.

Noen som har lyst til å være med på å teste bruk av Serval?

--
Happy hacking