[NUUG fiksgatami] [Fwd: Re: Adapting MySociety websites for other regions]

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Jan 26 19:48:51 CET 2009

[Matthew Somerville]
> Hi,
>
> Some people are looking to adapt FixMyStreet for Madras in India, and
> asked to be put in touch with you to share notes.

Sure.  Great to have more people working on the same goal. :)

We have a Norwegian wiki with notes at
<URL:http://wiki.nuug.no/grupper/fiksgatami>, and a mailing list at
fiksgatami at nuug.no (cc there).  We could probably translate the wiki
notes to English if you want to share notes.

So far, we have set up a Debian/Lenny box with the required packages,
checked out a copy of the CVS source, modified it slightly to get the
site operational, and am working on getting the translated site
working (Norwegian locale uses , instead of . the decimal point, and
this messes up something somewhere.  Not sure where yet).

The next steps is to replace the map solution with something working
for Norway (our plan is to use OpenLayers), and replace the address
lookup stuff to work for Norway (perhaps populate mapit with Norwegian
data, or replace it with something adjusted for the Norwegian
adminstrative borders - no idea which make most sense).

We have an incomplete patch to make more strings translatable, and
hoped to complete it before shipping it to Matthew, and some random
tries to get the decimal point problem fixed.  The complete patch for
our system relative to CVS is available from
<URL:http://fiksgatami.nuug.no/localpatch.diff>.

When the site is working done, we hope to look at improving the
layout/design, but it is not the top priority at the moment. :)

Happy hacking,