[NUUG fiksgatami] Adapting MySociety websites

Matthew Somerville matthew at mysociety.org
Wed Jan 28 22:29:03 CET 2009

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I do not really know.  Replacing the map solution is probably a few
> weeks work for someone who know what they are doing, and
> replacing/changing the address lookup stuff is probably the same.

We simply use Google Maps API for address lookup - can you not do the same?

> Related to the address stuff, is the mapit module for looking up
> regional adminstrative bounderies (ie who should get a given issue
> report).  None of this work has started.

The reason FixMyStreet uses MaPit is because it already existed for our
other site www.WriteToThem.com - for a FixMyStreet system, I'm afraid I
probably wouldn't even be able to help you use the same code, it's far
too UK-centric. I would suggest you will have to write your own way of
mapping a location point to the appropriate council/body.

> At the moment I have worked on making the site completely
> translatable, and get it to work with the Norwegian locale where the
> decimal point is comma instead of period.  I believe most of the
> translations are in place now, but am no-where near a solution for the
> decimal point issue.

We had this issue on PledgeBank when it was translated into a similar
language; I believe the locale is only used when the value is outputted,
so that's when you need to do any locale-changing. For example, search
for locale_push in
https://secure.mysociety.org/cvstrac/fileview?f=mysociety/pb/phplib/gaze-controls.php&v=1.22
or
https://secure.mysociety.org/cvstrac/fileview?f=mysociety/pb/phplib/pledge.php&v=1.264
which makes sure that the string $t contains periods instead of commas,
or that the Google Maps URL works.

It's certainly fixable :-)

ATB,
Matthew