[NUUG fiksgatami] Present administrative borders in Norway as polygons in Shape file?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Nov 1 10:59:28 CET 2010

Hi.  I had a look at the shape file export of OpenStreetmap.org
available from
to see if it could be used to get the internal borders of Norway
(kommune and fylke).  The administrative borders are present, but only
as lines and not as polygons.

Would it be possible to adjust the export to present these borders as
polygons?

I have checked in OpenStreetmap.org, and there the admin borders are
present as relations, so the raw material should be present.  The
Shape file export seem to only export the individual lines, ignoring
the borders that are drawn as rivers, and not group the complete
border as a polygon.

The reason I am asking is that we need the admin borders for use by a
Norwegian version of FixMyStreet, and importing it from
OpenStreetmap.org seem like a good idea.  The FixMyStreet source
currently handle shape files, so finding a shape file export of OSM
with the adminstrative borders seem like a good idea.

Cc to the Norwegian fiksgatami project mailing list.

Happy hacking,