[NUUG fiksgatami] Include administrative borders in the Shape files for Norway?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Nov 30 14:03:03 CET 2010

Hi.  Did you get this email?  I have not seen a reply.

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> [Frederik Ramm]
> > Producing proper area shapes from relations is difficult and outside
> > the scope of what our simple-and-fast nightly shape file build can
> > do. I can make a snapshot export for you (from our internal postgis
> > database) if you want but I cannot include that in the daily build.
>
> That would be great, to see if the export can be used by mapit and
> fixmystreet. :) I guess we would need regular updates once the
> Norwegian fixmystreet is operational, but once or twice per year would
> probably be enough for us.
>
> Is the difficulty the lack of man-hours or just that such export would
> require too much computer power?
>
> > Geofabrik has a client who asked us to create a better osm2shp tool
> > capable of doing the relation to area conversion properly, and once
> > that is finished (hopefully in December) it will be open-sourced and
> > uploaded to OSM SVN.
>
> Very good to hear. Will this then become part of the regular export?

If this relation to area conversion is not something that will become
part of the regular export, what is the blocker.  Can we hire you to
make it part of the regular export, and if so, how much would that
cost?

Happy hacking,