[NUUG fiksgatami] Include administrative borders in the Shape files for Norway?

Frederik Ramm frederik.ramm at geofabrik.de
Tue Nov 30 20:32:45 CET 2010

Hi,

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>>> Producing proper area shapes from relations is difficult and outside
>>> the scope of what our simple-and-fast nightly shape file build can
>>> do. I can make a snapshot export for you (from our internal postgis
>>> database) if you want but I cannot include that in the daily build.

>> That would be great, to see if the export can be used by mapit and
>> fixmystreet. :) I guess we would need regular updates once the
>> Norwegian fixmystreet is operational, but once or twice per year would
>> probably be enough for us.

>> Is the difficulty the lack of man-hours or just that such export would
>> require too much computer power?

A mix of both. The algorithm takes long and is a bit flaky so that
results have to be checked by hand.

>>> Geofabrik has a client who asked us to create a better osm2shp tool
>>> capable of doing the relation to area conversion properly, and once
>>> that is finished (hopefully in December) it will be open-sourced and
>>> uploaded to OSM SVN.

>> Very good to hear. Will this then become part of the regular export?

Likely not, because it will still consume more time. I don't want to
offer too broad a range of pre-produced stuff because (a) I would then
have to reduce the update frequency, (b) people would always want more.
But if the new development turns out to be fast enough I might replace
the old shapefile creator with the new.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm        www.geofabrik.de
Geofabrik GmbH       Handelsregister: HRB Mannheim 703657