[NUUG fiksgatami] New fixmystreet database layout break Norwegian site

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Apr 19 14:05:51 CEST 2011

[Matthew Somerville]
> Hi Petter,
>
> When we deploy our site, it checks that the database matches the
> contents of the db/schema.sql file; if not, it errors, so that we
> can't deploy a site that's not up-to-date with respect to the
> schema.

Sound like a nice system.  I just do 'git pull', and suspect it will
take a while before we are close to getting a deployment system in
place.

> In this instance, you need to add the three columns recently added to
> schema.sql:
> +    -- External information
> +    external_id text,
> +    external_body text,
> +    external_team text,

OK.  I have done this in SQL to fix it, and dropped my workaround patch.

  ALTER TABLE problem ADD external_id text, ADD external_body text,
    ADD external_team text;

> We will probably need to look at better schema updating in future
> for things like this - thankfully, the move to Catalyst will help
> with that, and sorry for inconvenience in the mean time.

I will just have to be careful to remember to check for schema changes
before updating the code.  It is to catch these issues I got the
staging server fiksgatami-dev.nuug.no, so if I do it right, it should
never affect the production site.  This time I did it wrong (did not
test enough), and it made it to the production site before I
discovered it. :) But only for a few minutes last evening.

Happy hacking,