[NUUG fiksgatami] Status Norwegian Fixmystreet development

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri Feb 11 20:16:08 CET 2011

Here is a quick update on status for the project, as seen from this
end of it.  Tom told me that so far abount 7 days of development have
been spent and the remaing 5 should be enough to complete the project,
and Matthew told me that around 50% of the time spent so far has been
spent on mapit, and 50% is spent on fixmystreet.

This is the task list status:

> Task list (for MySociety)
>
>  * Define / set up a git repository / branch / source for the code
>    NUUG should use on fiksgatami-dev.nuug.no.

Done.  Two git repositories are available and we now check out changes
automatically to fiksgatami-dev.nuug.no every hour, 1 minute over the
hour.

>  * Change the source of the MaPit service to handle Norwegian map
>    data (administrative borders) and non-british coordinates
>    (preferably GPS coordinates ie WGS84).

Done, as far as I can tell.  <URL: http://mapit.nuug.no/ > show
information about the two admin levels in norway.  Assuming that the
information currently available is enough for fixmystreet, I believe
this part is successfully delivered.

>  * Define the requirement for a usable source of administrative
>    borders in Norway.

Partly written by Matthew, and a patch to improve it was posted by me.
As soon as the patch is found to be correct and is commited to the
README in git, I believe this documentation task is done.

>  * Help NUUG set up a MaPit service for Norway on the assigned
>    server, ie document the procedure and assist with any problems
>    discovered while following the instructions.

Done, assuming it is good enough for fixmystreet.

>  * Change the FixMyStreet source to use non-british coordinates
>    (preferably GPS coordinates). NUUG have some incomplete patches for
>    this on <URL: http://www.fiksgatami.no/localpatch.diff >.
>  * Change the FixMyStreet source to use OpenLayers to display the map
>    and collect the location information. NUUG have some incomplete
>    patches for this on <URL: http://www.fiksgatami.no/localpatch.diff >.
>  * Document how requests find their way to the correct authority, and
>    set up some test routes based on information provided by NUUG (see
>    test cases).

These are still work in progress.

>  * Make sure all user-visible texts in the FixMyStreet source code
>    are translatable. This is placed last on the priority list
>    because it is easy to do from Norway, and thus NUUG do not want
>    to spend money on it before all the other tasks are fixed.

I've looked a bit into this, and it is still in progress.  When the
service is operational, it will be easier to know which texts are
still remaining.

Branding will be handled using the translation, and Matthew will
provide a way to force the Norwegian translation to always show up to
all users, independent on browser configuration.

> Task list (for NUUG)
>
>  * Provide an Internet-connected Linux server to run the MaPit and
>    fixmystreet instances for Norway.  The server
>    fiksgatami-dev.nuug.no is set up to provide continous integration
>    of the development status.  It is running Debian/Squeeze on a KVM
>    virtual machine.

This is done.

>  * Translate the rest of fixmystreet to Norwegian Bokmål.

Worked a bit on this, a lot remaining.

>  * Find a usable source for administrative borders in Norway, possibly
>    as Shape files.  Possible sources are OpenStreetmap.org, see <URL:
>    http://lists.nuug.no/pipermail/kart/2010-October/002055.html >, or
>    the Norwegian mapping authority available from
>    <URL:http://www.statkart.no/nor/Land/Kart_og_produkter/N5000_-_gratis_oversiktskart/>
>    (the "Kommuner med havgrenser" map).

Done.  The source is OpenStreetmap.org, and the import script fetches
OSM XML directly from OSM.

>  * Define a small set (3-5) of authorities to receive requests
>    including contact information and what type of request should be
>    sent there.

This is work in progress.  Christer will get a few test cases, and I
will also look into this.  Expected delivery is early next wee.

Happy hacking,