[NUUG fiksgatami] Search for places with Norwegian characters do not work

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Feb 15 20:09:52 CET 2011

I discoverd this while testing today.  Location names with the
Norwegian characters (æøå) do not work from the front page.  I
discovered this first when looking up Tøyen, which returned results as
if I had searched for 'yen'.  Next I tried to search for Bø, which
showed "Wide character in syswrite at /usr/share/perl5/File/Slurp.pm
line 332." in red and the string "bø" in the search field.  "ø"
should the byte stream as represented in ISO-8859-1 of the character ø
in Bø, but I am not convinced it make it into my email.

This make me suspect there is some UTF-8/ISO-8859-1 character
conversion error somewhere, or some reply from the browser get the
wrong HTTP header.

JFYI.

Happy hacking,