[NUUG fiksgatami] FixMystreet in Norway?

Matthew Somerville matthew at mysociety.org
Wed Jan 5 17:26:59 CET 2011

Hi Petter,

I don't think your list needs much adjustment, it seems to cover
everything I can think of :-)

MaPit already uses GPS coordinates for points, so it just needs a bit of
work to store shapes in GPS co-ordinates rather than the British
National Grid it currently does. Would you just want to use MaPit for
the point -> authority look up, or would you also load postnummer (I
don't know how small they are, or whether Norwegians use them for
locating as the UK does). It would work fine simply with the authority
shapes, I was just interested.

Yes, the FixMyStreet maps would need to be adapted to show a different
map - this would be up to you, dependent on what mapping system would be
best for Norway. If OpenStreetMap had good enough coverage for the
country, we could use that, or Google Maps or whichever system - I will
be adapting the code to allow different maps to be plugged in as
appropriate.

The British co-ordinates FixMyStreet uses internally (once they're
located on the map) should be able to be altered to use GPS co-ordinates
for more universality, yes (and hopefully without affecting anything on
the UK site that uses the British co-ordinates, such as the RSS feeds).
There are other related changes needed, depending on how your shapes are
done (in the UK, every point will have a "ward" which is one part of a
"council" authority, so the alerts page asks you about both e.g.
http://www.fixmystreet.com/alert?pc=n10la and that would need to be
adapted if e.g. you don't have wards within your authorities). I have
the patch you sent me before, but that doesn't seem to match what's
currently on the site completely.

The translation and finding out where to send reports (in the UK, we
base this on location and the category selected) are then the "easy"
bits, I think (easy from my point of view, anyway! ;-) ).

Lastly, I very much agree with you about making all the changes work
with the current source code, I will be generalising as much as possible
during the work.

ATB,
Matthew