[NUUG fiksgatami] FixMystreet in Norway?

Matthew Somerville matthew at mysociety.org
Mon Jan 10 15:36:15 CET 2011

On 06/01/2011 13:04, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> In norway there are two levels of administrative areas, but I am not
> sure what their english names should be.  The local area (fylke) have
> several counties, and and the county (kommune) is normally not divided
> any more.  Some cities are divied into city-parts (bydel), and at
> least for Oslo this is made more complex by the fact that the City of
> Oslo is both a local area and a county at the same time, and this
> county is divied into city-parts.  Is ward a city-part in this regard?

In some parts of England, we also have two local administrative area
levels; we would call a fylke a county with a county council (=
Fylkeskommune), and then a kommune a "district" with a district council.
Both county and district councils are then split into wards for
representation purposes, wards aren't bodies themselves.
(In other parts of England, and in Scotland, Wales, and Northern
Ireland, there is only one local administrative area, the council, which
is split into wards.)

The shape files you are going to get - what would they contain? Fylker
boundaries, kommuner boundaries, bydeler boundaries, all, or just some?
 From a quick read of Wikipedia, it would seem like, if possible, you
may want to direct some reports (e.g. county roads) to the
fylkeskommune, and other/most reports to the kommune? The bydeler, from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_and_government_of_Oslo at least,
seem to not have anything FixMyStreet-related under their power, but
that could of course be wrong and you'll probably know better!

>> The translation and finding out where to send reports (in the UK, we
>> base this on location and the category selected) are then the "easy"
>> bits, I think (easy from my point of view, anyway! ;-) ).
>
> Sound good.  Can you descibe more how this work is done, and how much
> work we should expect initially and regularly to maintain this
> information?

Translation - once we have checked that all strings are marked for
translation, we will generate a .po file which you (or whoever) will use
to translate. You can use programs to help with this such as PoEdit -
http://www.poedit.net/ - and this obviously doesn't have to be an
all-or-none, you can send us a partially completed file and we can put
that up on a test site. Maintenance - text doesn't change on FixMyStreet
very often, so it would only be if there was a change that warranted
being changed everywhere.

Where to send reports - I can't really help you with this, I don't know
what would be best for FixMyStreet-style reports in Norway. :) There is
an admin interface for you to update and maintain the email addresses
used, but you will have to decide how to route the problem, based upon
its location and category and we can then adjust the code to suit if
it's different in some way.

> I would like us to structure this with a continuously integration
> framework, where you commit changes to your VCS and we check it out
> and set it up on our test server, to allow us to see and test the
> current setup and follow progress to be able to adjust the course when
> needed.  It will reduce the risk of failing to get something workable
> at the end of the project.

Yes, I treat our github repository as backup and commits will be made to
there frequently. :-)

ATB,
Matthew