[NUUG fiksgatami] Updating FiksGataMi

Matthew Somerville matthew at mysociety.org
Fri Nov 7 23:16:18 CET 2014

Hi,

I've been looking this week at updating FiksGataMi to the current
FixMyStreet code (as well as getting FixMyStreet working on Ubuntu 14.04
:-) ). I have gone through the branches that make up the fiksgatami
production and dev sites (fiksgatami-prod.nuug.no, fiksgatami-dev.nuug.no,
and catalyst-fiksgatami-prod.nuug.no) and checked these against the current
master branch.

The two main differences were the graph script handling, and the OSM road
test scripts. I have rewritten the graph generation scripts in pure Perl,
which you can see at https://github.com/mysociety/fixmystreet/pull/924 -
this should make it more standard for everyone. I've updated the two road
scripts and put them in the bin/fiksgatami directory, in the
https://github.com/mysociety/fixmystreet/compare/fiksgatami_osm_road_info
branch.

I have also started updating the templates to work with the current code
(mostly just removing override templates that are no longer needed). This
needs a little more work, but is mostly done.

After your question in IRC, I looked into whether the FixMyStreet code
could run from Debian packages. It looks like it perhaps can be, yes :)
Most packages are in wheezy; a handful of packages would currently have to
come from jessie, the list is something like:
    libcatalyst-action-renderview-perl
    libcatalyst-authentication-store-dbix-class-perl
    libcatalyst-model-adaptor-perl
    libcatalyst-plugin-authentication-perl
    libcatalyst-plugin-session-state-cookie-perl
    libcatalyst-plugin-session-store-dbic-perl
    libcatalyst-plugin-static-simple-perl

The Open311::Endpoint code uses MooX::HandlesVia (in jessie) and a couple
of unpackaged modules, e.g. Data::Rx and Types::Standard - that code could
probably be changed if needed, though no core FixMyStreet code uses it,
it's something relatively new for a UK council integration, I only mention
it for completeness.

So I have a couple of questions based on what's remaining:
* One commit you have is
https://github.com/mysociety/fixmystreet/commit/4326f840 - is this still
needed? If it is, we should investigate using
http://template-toolkit.org/docs/manual/Config.html#section_COMPILE_DIR
instead, and making this changeable via a configuration option, so it can
be merged into the main codebase.
* Once I've finished tidying the templates, how would you like to perform
the update of the site itself? Given the time duration involved, I'd
probably be happiest performing the update myself, but I don't know if that
will be possible - can I have access to your server in some way? Or do you
want to set up a new installation somewhere and export/import the database
into that, and then move your DNS across or similar? Let me know what would
work best for you.

Once that's all sorted, I'll also do a new release of FixMyStreet and we
can check all the strings are present in the .po file for translations and
that it's all up to date.

Hope that makes sense, do ask if you have any other questions.

ATB,
Matthew