[NUUG fiksgatami] Updating FiksGataMi

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Nov 12 20:11:15 CET 2014

[Matthew Somerville]
> Hi,

Hi, and thank you for giving me an update.  Sorry for the late reply.
Been busy at work and barely standing in the evenings thanks to the flu
striking down the family. :)

> I've been looking this week at updating FiksGataMi to the current
> FixMyStreet code (as well as getting FixMyStreet working on Ubuntu 14.04
> :-) ). I have gone through the branches that make up the fiksgatami
> production and dev sites (fiksgatami-prod.nuug.no, fiksgatami-dev.nuug.no,
> and catalyst-fiksgatami-prod.nuug.no) and checked these against the current
> master branch.

This sound very good. :)

> After your question in IRC, I looked into whether the FixMyStreet code
> could run from Debian packages. It looks like it perhaps can be, yes
> :)

Very good.  It would be good to get help from Debian in maintaining
these extra modules. :)

> So I have a couple of questions based on what's remaining:
> * One commit you have is
> https://github.com/mysociety/fixmystreet/commit/4326f840 - is this
> still needed? If it is, we should investigate using
> http://template-toolkit.org/docs/manual/Config.html#section_COMPILE_DIR
> instead, and making this changeable via a configuration option, so it
> can be merged into the main codebase.

If I remember the change correctly, it was made out of desperation and
lack of time to try to figure out why the service failed to run/work
when upgrading to the Catalyst version.  I simply lacked the time to
figure out what was missing to get it working and added the hack to get
going.  If we can fix file permissions or some other setup to get the
service working without disabling the compile cache, I am all for it. :)

> * Once I've finished tidying the templates, how would you like to
> perform the update of the site itself? Given the time duration
> involved, I'd probably be happiest performing the update myself, but I
> don't know if that will be possible - can I have access to your server
> in some way? Or do you want to set up a new installation somewhere and
> export/import the database into that, and then move your DNS across or
> similar? Let me know what would work best for you.

You can have access to our servers, yes.  My idea is to set up new test
and production servers, and get the test server operational first and
write down the instructions in the process, and then repeate the process
on the production server.  You can definitely get access to the test
server.

One think to remember is that mapit.nuug.no is on the same machine as
fiksgatami.no, and it too need to be updated in this process.  The old
machine where both are running will be killed when the upgrade is done.
There are more accurate border data available from OpenStreetmap, but I
am not sure they are consistent enough to be imported directly as I have
not tested it for a long time.  Migrating the service is priority one,
updating the vektor data is priority two.

> Once that's all sorted, I'll also do a new release of FixMyStreet and
> we can check all the strings are present in the .po file for
> translations and that it's all up to date.

Yeah, I guess we need to do a translation push before we can go live.

> Hope that makes sense, do ask if you have any other questions.

Absolutely.  The only issue I worry about is our mapit service.

On a related node, would it be possible to get the mobile apps for
fixmystreet also working in Norway without a lot of work?  After all,
the position is known when reporting aproblem, and thus it would be
possible to figure out which installation to send to....  It seem like a
waste to have separate apps for every installation of fixmystreet in the
world.  At the moment we only have Android apps here in Norway, and a
iPhone app is requested regularly without us having anything to provide
in that area.

--
Happy hacking