[NUUG fiksgatami] Updating FiksGataMi

Matthew Somerville matthew at mysociety.org
Fri Nov 14 13:55:21 CET 2014

Hi,

On 12 November 2014 19:11, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:

> Been busy at work and barely standing in the evenings thanks to the flu
> striking down the family. :)

Oh dear, hope you're all okay now!

[ Catalyst compiled templates ]

> If we can fix file permissions or some other setup to get the
> service working without disabling the compile cache, I am all for it. :)

Okay, we can wait and see if it works on your new server, then - it will
depend on how it's set up.

You can have access to our servers, yes.  My idea is to set up new test
> and production servers, and get the test server operational first and
> write down the instructions in the process, and then repeate the process
> on the production server.  You can definitely get access to the test
> server.

Great. Both FixMyStreet and MapIt can use an install script to install
themselves on a clean Debian/Ubuntu server, so if the server was just for
them then we could use that. Otherwise it shouldn't be that many steps to
do manually, depending on what web server, etc was being used on the server.

If you'd like to set up the test server whenever you're ready and let me
know details, we can start to look at that.

There are more accurate border data available from OpenStreetmap, but I
> am not sure they are consistent enough to be imported directly as I have
> not tested it for a long time.  Migrating the service is priority one,
> updating the vektor data is priority two.

The current mapit.nuug.no uses OSM data, as I understand it? So we can
continue to use that, just copied across, as you say, and then update from
newer OSM data if it's changed. As you might know, we host a global MapIt
of OSM data at http://global.mapit.mysociety.org/ so hopefully that's kept
track of more recent boundaries.

On a related node, would it be possible to get the mobile apps for

fixmystreet also working in Norway without a lot of work?  After all,
> the position is known when reporting aproblem, and thus it would be
> possible to figure out which installation to send to....  It seem like a
> waste to have separate apps for every installation of fixmystreet in the
> world.  At the moment we only have Android apps here in Norway, and a
> iPhone app is requested regularly without us having anything to provide
> in that area.

The new site has better mobile layout, which is good anyway :) One issue is
that we use different map tiles in the UK. The app would presumably need to
be able to work out the right country/site from the co-ordinates gathered
from GPS or location entered, so it could use the right map, send queries
to the right server, and so on - that initial "which country am I in" is
the main thing it would need to. Obviously there's translation as well. So
I think it would be some amount of work - perhaps not loads, but not little
either.

ATB,
Matthew