[NUUG kart] Importing GNS data for Svalbard

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 22:57:05 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Dag Bjerkeli <dag at jodalin.org> wrote:

> I had a quick look at the data for Bjørnøya, south of Svalbard. Most of
> the names there were placed in a clear grid.
> With the disclaimer of not knowing the locality of Bjørnøya well, this
> did not look correct.

I am also wondering where these names come from. The Norwegian Polar
Institute have some maps available online. See for instance
http://www.miljo.npolar.no/temakart/images/maps/Bjornoya_50.jpg

I have, of course, never been to Bjørnøya, but judging from the map, I am a
bit surprised that we know have around 15 named islands around there. What
is now named, seems more like rocks than islands, and most of them are
inland... Add to that the names are imported as being in "Svalbard", which
is positively false.

On the maps and databases published by The Norwegian Polar Institute, I have
found no copyright information. Most of the data also seems to be avaialable
in a number of formats. Does this indicvate, that we here have something as
rare as a Norwegian Public Domain datasource?

Regards,

Gustav