AlaveteliCon in Oslo, let's try and make it happen!

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Mar 6 20:35:59 CET 2017

Hi.  Very glad for this initiative, and hope we can pull it off. :)

[Gemma Humphrys]
> Hi everyone,
>
> Petter suggested that I write to you all, regarding our plans to hold
> another AlaveteliCon
> <https://www.mysociety.org/freedom-of-information/alaveteli/alavetelicon-2015/>.
> He also said that you're happy to help where you can, so I really
> appreciate that.

Absolutely.  So far Hans-Petter and Gorm have raised their hand to help
organize such conference, and I expect others to join once they learn
about the idea. :)

> This is a real help, but we still need to raise more funds to make the
> event happen. I am still waiting to hear back from a couple of Finnish
> funds that we have applied for, but in the meantime I'd like to approach
> potential Norwegian sponsors to ask for their support.

I'm not quite sure who we should talk to.  I suspect we should talk to
Holder de ord (a Norwegian theyworkforyou) and see if they have any
ideas.

Perhaps Fritt ord might be a good place to apply?  Any other ideas?

> Regarding venues, we're looking for somewhere that will be suitable for up
> to 60 people in 'theatre' style.

We checked with the location where we normally hold our member meetings
in the evening, Teknologihuset.  They mentioned a list price of NOK 18
000 for a work day (free in the evening), and thus the total for two day
(before we start negotiating for a better price) is NOK 36 000 (about
EUR 4000).  I suggest we also check if we can use a room at the
University and Mesh, to see if we can get it any cheeper elsewhere.  Any
other suggestions for a good location?  Perhaps it do not need to be in
the center of Oslo?  There are conference hotels (NUUG held one at
Sundvollen many years ago), but I do not know which one are relevant.

--
Happy hacking