Re: Arendalsuka: IBM vil journalføre læring

Thomas Sødring thomas.sodring at hioa.no
Fri Aug 18 13:05:57 CEST 2017

Hi,

While it's interesting, I'm not sure how useful it is.

Do I as a third level teacher need to know anything about what you did
in kindergarden, primary or secondary school? Does the administration at
HiOA need to know you were problematic in secondary school? What I like
about progressing in life learning is that in many ways you start of
with a clean slate. This will probably prevent you from starting off
with a new slate!

What they are talking about is that your learning profile will follow
you through life! But do we have enough research on learning profiles
and how teachers should adapt to various students needs? Are we about to
undertake an experiment on a generation of students without considering
the consequences? Probably yes :(

One of the things I hate about being a teacher at third level is the
"Studenten har ansvar for egen læring" approach that so obvious is
wrong. It frees the teacher from their responsibility and allows him/her
to say, well it's covered in the syllabus and I mentioned it in the
lecture. As if that's enough!

I have been so lucky the last few years in that I teach students in a
lab setting and the class size has been under or around 30. I have been
able to adapt to the students needs and from interacting with them have
grown to understand and change my approach to teaching. Going forward I
will have classes of size 50+ and will not have the luxury of the same
level of interaction and will probably have to move to the traditional
one-to-many approach to teaching with lectures in a large classroom.
Little learning takes place in such a setting, especially for IT-related
stuff!

So, while the intentions are good and for some people it may have a
positive outcome,  as long as the mantra is that "Studenten har ansvar
for egen læring", it's only going to cause a lot of "noise". Who's going
to the teach the teachers how to adapt?

Nice catch Ole! Thanks for sharing, even though it is slightly off-topic
:) nikita is a teaching tool though ....

 - Tom