Hyperledger Explorer block chain

Ole Aamot oka at oka.no
Thu Dec 21 14:51:48 CET 2017

>From https://www.hyperledger.org/

"Hyperledger is an open source collaborative effort created to advance
cross-industry blockchain technologies. It is a global collaboration,
hosted by The Linux Foundation, including leaders in finance, banking, IoT,
supply chain, manufacturing and technology."

I am scratching the surface of the Hyperledger Explorer for browsing and
viewing activity on the underlying block chain network.

I found the following documentation in README.md after checkout of the code
with git.

git clone https://gerrit.hyperledger.org/r/blockchain-explorer

Building blockchain-explorer requires nodejs 6.9.x (v7.x is not yet
supported), mysql 5.7 or greater and works with Hyperledger Fabric 1.0.

To manage fabric network, install the following software dependencies:

* docker 17.06.2-ce [https://www.docker.com/community-edition]
* docker-compose 1.14.0 [https://docs.docker.com/compose/]

Clone this repository to get the latest using the following command.
1. `git clone https://github.com/hyperledger/blockchain-explorer.git`
2. `cd blockchain-explorer`

## Database setup
Run the database setup scripts located under `db/fabricexplorer.sql`

`mysql -u<username> -p < db/fabricexplorer.sql`

## Fabric network setup

This repository comes with a sample network configuration to start with

1. `cd first-network`
2. `./bootstrap-1.0.2.sh` - This is going to download the necessary
binaries and hyperledger docker images.
3. `mkdir -p ./channel-artifacts`
4. `./byfn.sh -m generate -c mychannel`
5. `./byfn.sh -m up -c mychannel`

This brings up a 2 org network with channel name `mychannel` .

Alternatively you can setup your own network using [Build your network](
http://hyperledger-fabric.readthedocs.io/en/latest/build_network.html)
tutorial from Fabric. Once you setup the network, please modify the values
in `config.json` accordingly.

## Running blockchain-explorer

On another terminal,
1. `cd blockchain-explorer`
2. Modify config.json to update one of the channel
        * mysql host, username, password details
```json
 "channel": "mychannel",
 "mysql":{
      "host":"127.0.0.1",
      "database":"fabricexplorer",
      "username":"root",
      "passwd":"123456"
   }
```
If you are connecting to a non TLS fabric network, please modify the
protocol (`grpcs->grpc`) and port (`9051-> 9050`) in the peer url and
remove the `tls_cacerts`
3. `npm install`
4. `./start.sh`

Launch the URL http://localhost:8080 on a browser.

I will report more details and results as I dig deeper.

See https://github.com/HiOA-ABI/nikita-noark5-core/ and
the Nikita Noark5 Core project.

Best,
Ole