Testing with blockchain

Thomas Sødring thomas.sodring at hioa.no
Tue Feb 7 12:21:59 CET 2017

On 02/06/2017 03:11 PM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Thomas Sødring]
>> I was at a meeting last week organised by the police directorate and the
>> National Archive. It was a little workshop that discussed if and how
>> block chain technology was relevant for record/keeping archives.
> Interesting to know they are looking at it.  I'm not conviced it is a
> good match for a archive system, though.

I have an open mind about this. I'm not convinced it's necessary, but
it's relatively quick and cheap to show a proof-of-concept. A lot of the
discussion was about avoiding the hype-factor and trying to identify if
and where block-chain is relevant.

What I like about this is that as soon as a document is registered in a
core, a record will be available in a distributed fashion. Sneaky people
can't pretend the document isn't there. So maybe I can register a
document before it hits OEP, even though I may not be able to publish title.

The downside is that let's say a Child Protection Agency document with
some metadata is published on a block chain it will probably be
impossible to erase an accidental publication. I awlays find it's easier
to discuss things when there's a practical implementation.

>> At the end of the meeting I volunteered to try and integrate nikita
>> with a block chain technology. I will probably try to implement it
>> against https://www.openchain.org/ .
>>
>> I don't expect this to interrupt development as I will latch onto
>> events in the core and send them to a blockchain service for
>> persisting related information to the blockchain.
>>
>> This is just FYI, as after a while you might see a branch related to
>> this!
> Another avenue to explore is Trusted Timestamping.  I wrote about it a
> while back, check out

I read this before, it's interesting and definitely something I will
consider. If block-chain can't give anything more than trusted
timestamping, then following it is just hype!

 - Tom