How to find more project members?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Feb 7 23:22:05 CET 2017

[Thomas Sødring]
> Unfortunately, none of it worked!

That is not quite true.  Some of it worked.  After the dots presentation
at NUUG in 2015[1], I was ready to get involved, but shortly after I got
access to the code it was yanked from the public and my motivation to
help develop dots floored.

 [1] <URL: https://www.nuug.no/aktiviteter/20140211-noark/ >

> I do not think we will find any active help within the archive
> community.

Neither do I, but I hope we can find some within the free software
community among the people assisting the archive community. :)

But I really hope we can get some help from the National Archive with
certification, both to interpret and clearify the specification and to
verify that our implementation is acceptable.

> But no-one can lock this core down!

I appreciate this, given my previous experience.

> I think easiest way to build a community for this variant of a Noark
> core is to find Java heads. There are lectures in SOA and springsource
> at UiO, so there might some relevant people there.  Simula and HiOA
> are in talks about establishing a "centre for digitalisation" for the
> public sector. I'd be happy to see nikita there and that might be a
> possible avenue to explore. Uninett and USIT might have people that
> are interested, but they have enough with their own projects.

Would you be interested in presenting the project at a meeting at USIT?
I might be able to organize it.

> However, in some ways there is not really that much left to do and
> maybe it will be easier to attract a community once the "product"
> exists and is approved by the National Archive.

I believe we need to get it to a point where it can do something useful
before most people will be interested in joining.  Once it is useful,
the need for improvements to make it more useful will arise. :)

I am not sure we need to get as far as having approval from the National
Archive.

> I personally think the easiest way is to hit a JUG. Find a meeting and
> present and see if something comes out of it.

Could be.  I also suspect a weekly blog message syndicated on
planet.nuug.no would help raise the visibility of the project.  Would
you be willing to write about the progress in a weekly blog message?  I
can add the RSS to planet.nuug.no.

> But your interest in the project Petter has really helped drive it
> forward. For a long time now it has just been me. Just having someone
> to discuss, someone to question what's happening gives the project
> more meaning. You have highlighted so many issues that I probably
> would have easily missed.

I'm happy to assist, and look forward to when I can import and search
the content.  And I would love to analyze the metadata across several
institutions to try to locate documents that are only listed in one of
them. :)

> There are others, but they are not relevant at the moment. There's
> definitely little understanding of open source and the editors of the
> relevant archival publications will be weary of giving us what they
> will deem as free advertisement space. Some vendors have referred to
> the project as competition, and I think that label has stuck! But I
> could for example publish information about the nikita-core and block
> chain and that will probably be OK as I'm not trying to push the
> nikita-core.

Sad to hear this.  Btw, which other NOARK 5 core implementation exist?
Who are our "competitors"?  And which client implementations exist?  Who
are our potential users?

--
Happy hacking