Recipes for converting PDF to PDF/A

Thomas Sødring Thomas.Sodring at hioa.no
Thu May 18 19:26:29 CEST 2017

Hi,

I'd like to go a little microservices on this. I was thinking that we need a REST service that takes a document and returns its archive format equivalent. This can even autodetect the mimetype using e.g JHOVE [1]. There are other tools as well.

I'd like to support ODF natively via LibreOffice, where the service has LibreOffice running and converts all documents to PDF/A.

PDF to PDF/A could be done as Petter suggests.

I would have a microservices style approach and offload it to another REST service as sometimes users will upload big files. The largest PDF file I saw in a Noark system is about 250 MB and when I converted 800 000 documents to archive format a few years ago, we saw many random crashes. So I really think it's worthwhile offloading it away from the core.

The documents should be automatically converted to archive format when the case file is closed.

For teaching purposes, I will not support MS Office. So many of my students are unaware of LibreOffice so I think it's worthwhile exposing them only to LibreOffice via nikita. However if we were to support MS Office, we would need a queue system that can talk to a PixEdit server to do the conversion. PixEdit works really nicely and is able to work on a per-core basis so scales nicely.

Creating a REST service to convert the documents would be a nice project for someone to attempt.

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JHOVE