Upgrade project to Java 11

Thomas Sødring thomas.sodring at oslomet.no
Fri Nov 2 09:36:02 CET 2018

On 10/21/18 2:40 PM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Thomas Sødring]
>> Anybody else have any thought?
> I think we will just have to focus exclusively on OpenJDK in the future.
> Is it possible to get the building and working with version 8, 9, 10 and
> 11, or will "migrating" to version 11 break our code for older versions?

I guess the question is really related to how we code. A lot of our code
is is written using Java5 style.  I kinda find lambdas and streams
difficult to use and read in the context we are in.  But there are some
use of lambdas and streams in our code. I am happy to stay on Java8 code
wise and don't feel the need to start using Java11 libraries.

So I guess we should aim at sticking with Java8 for compilation but it
is irrelevant which JVM is used at runtime provided it's > 8. I think
the issue will be complicated if any of the libraries we use go over to
Java11. That might force us to Java11 anyway.

> Java 11 is not available in any stable Linux distribution, and we should
> try our best to make sure Nikita will work with the stable releases of
> at least Debian and Redhat, I believe.

I agree that we should stick to making sure our code compiles and runs
on whatever is stable version  of Java on Debian and Redhat. There is no
need to jump into the latest releases of Java. However I would like to
keep the project up to data with spring releases.

 - Tom