Upgrade project to Java 11

Thomas Sødring thomas.sodring at oslomet.no
Fri Sep 28 13:51:27 CEST 2018

Hi,

Java 11 is here! Java 11 is the next LTS release of Java and Java 8
looses free updates in January 2019. It's important that people are
aware that Oracle are changing the way they will monetise Java. Going
forward, using Oracles Java implementatin requires a license. You should
not use nikita in production with an Oracle JVM unless you have a license.

Oracle have said they will make sure OpenJDK and Oracles own product are
in sync so there should be no problem using OpenJDK. Other companies
like Redhat and Azul will also likely make their presence and support
known.

So check what version and vendor of Java you are using!

Now that Java 11 is here we also need to decide if we will upgrade to 11
or not. Upgrading brings a host of new functionality although I'm not
sure we require most of it. But we likely will have to upgrade at some
point in the future.

A new JVM will likely have a number of bugs to be ironed out and there
likely will be a lot of bug fixes over the next months. So my approach
will be test Java 11 and perhaps do the switch in a month or two

Anybody else have any thought?

 - Tom