Updates regarding Noark + blockchain?

Thomas Sødring tsodring at oslomet.no
Thu Jun 10 15:45:59 CEST 2021

Hi Gareth,

The project finished a while back but I have to finalise the report. We
did manage to get a peer reviewed article out of the project. Petter has
a copy on his blog:

http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Blockchain_and_IoT_articles_accepted_into_Records_Management_Journal.html

I think the main gist of the work is in the article, but the report will
probably have a little more information about the approach.

It did actually result in a change to nikita as well. We introduced an
event handler that responded to CRUD-events and published metadata about
these events to a single-instance blockchain we developed called
simplechain (https://gitlab.com/OsloMet-ABI/simplechain):

   https://nikita.oslomet.no/simplechain-gui/

Unfortunately nothing is responding at that address at the moment as the
nikita server was recently upgraded and not all databases were migrated.
I'll see if I can fill it with some information and drop a mail here.

Interestingly the result is that it may be possible to publish a
change-log from a database for authenticity purposes and Noark has a
number of properties that make it of particular interest for use with
blockchain. I think one of the main take-aways has to be that if trusted
timestamping solves your authenticity issue then use that not
blockchain.  Feel free to post follow up questions or come join us on
IRC, we would be happy to discuss this in more detail.

  - Thomas