Install requirements

Thomas John Sødring tsodring at oslomet.no
Thu Dec 7 08:27:47 CET 2023

Oles emails are being stopped by the list software as the body is too large, and every reply will have this problem, so I am starting a new thread on it. It's probably a good idea to link to stacktraces rather than include them as email body contents.

Oles reply to my email about Java17

OK,
Det gir mening.

oka at ventura nikita-noark5-core % make clean && make run
mvn clean validate install
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[INFO] ---------------------< nikita:nikita-noark5-core >----------------------
[INFO] Building nikita-noark5-core 0.7
[INFO]   from pom.xml

REDACTED for brevity

Caused by: org.springframework.web.client.ResourceAccessException: I/O error on GET request for "http://localhost:8080/realms/recordkeeping/.well-known/openid-configuration": Connection refused
      at org.springframework.web.client.RestTemplate.createResourceAccessException(RestTemplate.java:888) ~[spring-web-6.0.11.jar:6.0.11]

This error is because the server doesn't have keycloak running. Spring boot 3/Spring security also comes with a recommendation to use SSO. I first interpreted this as a requirement, but I believe it is possible to run Nikita with username/password. However, some people will likely want to use Nikita with SSO, so an SSO requirement in Nikita to use keycloak was introduced with the upgrade to Spring boot 3. This will likely be relaxed in the future, but there are a lot of other tasks with a higher requirement.

Install.md also includes a description that Keycloak is a requirement for nikita and how to get it running.

## Keycloak requirement

We currently follow Spring Boot recommendation for SSO and now require a running keycloak alongside nikita. The easiest
way to get keycloak running is to use docker

    docker run -p 8080:8080 -e KEYCLOAK_ADMIN=admin -e KEYCLOAK_ADMIN_PASSWORD=admin quay.io/keycloak/keycloak:21.1.2 start-dev

Once you have keycloak running you can, from the root of the nikita source code run:

    scripts/populate_keycloak.sh

to create users and roles, so you can interact with nikita.

It is probably a good idea to follow all the steps in Install.md as you might find you are getting stuck on something that is described there.

Thomas