docker.io images of nikita

Thomas Sødring tsodring at oslomet.no
Thu Mar 16 09:41:57 CET 2023

Hi,

I received an email from docker stating that docker would no longer be hosting images of nikita (or any free images) on their platform. A blog post discussing dockers hosting strategy, and how it affects opensource projects, in general, can be found here:

https://blog.alexellis.io/docker-is-deleting-open-source-images/

On irc:#nuug https://quay.io/ was proposed as an alternative. Having a docker image is not really a high priority for me so I will remove docker from the gitlab CI. It will still be possible to build local docker images of nikita using maven.

It was nice having an image that could allow anyone to take nikita out for a spin, but nikita now requires elasticsearch and has some other dependencies, that makes this a little more difficult anyway. If the project decides docker images is important we can revisit this later.

The gitlab CI was updated in https://gitlab.com/OsloMet-ABI/nikita-noark5-core/-/commit/fbcdec96d568a0e114eb74eb01c3a5161f363a8d

 - Thomas