[NUUG video] RSS with ipod video files

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu May 1 15:09:29 CEST 2008

You get this email because I know you have a Mac and believe you have
an ipod.

I came across a recipe for making vidoe files for the ipod, and tested
it on the goopen videos.  It worked just fine, so now I am encoding
all the recordings into this format.  In the process, I changed the
script used to generate RSS feeds to also handle this new format, and
a new ipod compatible RSS feed is now available from

Please test it and let me know if there are issues with it.

This is the command used to convert from DV to ipod .mov:

  ffmpeg -i "$dv" -f mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -maxrate 1000k -b 700k \
    -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -g 300 -acodec aac -ab 192 \
    -s 320x240 -aspect 4:3 "${basename}_ipod.mov"

CC to the video group in NUUG.

Happy hacking,