[NUUG video] Resolution on compressed video (384x288 vs 360x288)?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sun Sep 21 11:06:45 CEST 2008

At the moment, the resolution on the DV recordings are 720x576.  The
compressed MPEG movies are 384x288.  Why is the ratio on the moves
changes slightly?  If the idea was to half the height and width, it
would be 360x288.

The background for my question is the coding to Ogg Theora.
Compressing from 720x576 to 360x288 is quicker, and I can only assume
lead to less rounding errors.  This made me wonder why we compress to
384x288 for MPEG.  Anyone know why that is a good resolution to use?

I've compressed two movies with the different resolutions.  Check
these out from <URL:http://www.nuug.no/pub/video/published/>:

  360x288: 20070109-mythtv.ogv
  384x288: 20080513-opphavsrett.ogv

Happy hacking,