[NUUG video] Extend XMLTV DVD to allow URLs to video recordings and unique recording ID?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sun Jan 31 15:59:04 CET 2010

Hi.  I am involved with the open channel in Norway, and we consider
using XMLTV as the exchange format between the web system used to
schedule programs and the system used to play these programs.  This do
not seem to be possible at the moment, because the the XMLTV DVD do
not allow us to store the information we need in the XMLTV files.

We need to store the unique program/recording ID, to allow us to look
up information about the recording, and would also like to be able to
store the URL to the recordings in different formats (typically Ogg
Theora, Windows Media and DV-AVI).

Any hope of having such fields added to the DTD?  I suspect it make
most sense to add them to the <video> tag, but it might make sense to
add it to the <programme> tag too.

Perhaps adapt the tags used in video RSS files, there the links to the
videos look like this:

  <enclosure url="http://www.nuug.no/pub/video/frikanalen/3924.ogv" type="application/ogg" length="102751525" />

This way several different formats can be added, and the player can
pick the one it want.

CC to the NUUG video mailing list, where the norwegian open channel
  system is being discussed and developed.

Happy hacking,