[NUUG kart] Stedsnavn og kommunenavn - bruk av "place"

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Apr 2 08:17:39 CEST 2008

[Edward Welbourne]
> The other approach you could take is to use region for these major
> divisions, county for the fylke and parish for the kommune, if
> place=parish is one of the units on offer.  In England the parish
> was originally the unit of land containing one church, although
> there are now civil parishes that serve (almost no) administrative
> functions.

We should be careful not to mix modern administrative bounderies with
church bounderies.  Those of us keeping an eye on the family three,
know how important it is to know the church boundaries when using the
chruch books to find people.  We need those boundaries to be correct
(and tagged by year, to be able to find those that was valid in say
1875 and 1900. :)

Happy hacking,