[NUUG kart] Omstrukturering av skog i Marka

Stefan Rothe stefan at hess-rothe.net
Mon Jan 7 19:15:09 CET 2013

Jeg deltar denne diskusjon på Engelsk fordi min Norsk er ikke så bra :-)

This diskussion is as old as OSM. We had it in Germany, and we had it in
Norway as well.

In fact, it just depends of map-users point-of-view, or map-users
interest. A biologist, an environmentalist, a landowner, a tourist or
hiker/skier, a pilot, a hunter, they all will have a different approach
to the classification of wood ./. forest. (I am a geologist)

OSM can, through its standard tags, only deliver a "Base Map", suitable
for a general purpose. Everything beyond this needs to be tagged either
with special tags within OSM, or through independant, linked databases
for special purposes.

Now, what in common sense would be a "Forest" in Norway, what would be
"Wood"? As a foreigner I am probably not the most competent person to
argue about the wording, but I believe that the view of a "casual
environmentally caretaking person" e.g. a nature-friendly hiker matches
most peoples' general idea. What does this mean in practice, for Norway?

Landuse = Forest: This is all forest which is planted (or replanted) in
rows, cut down and reforested as a whole area (or subsquares), the trees
being of equal age and not much undergrowth to see. From what I have
seen so far (have been travelling a lot through Norway) this would
probably apply to 20 % of all tree areas.

Natural = Wood: All not so intensely treated tree areas, e.g. only part
of the trees cut out every few years, existing undergrowth, generally
most uneven/rocky terrain areas which have not been paved for
agricultural forestery, and so forth. Probably the other 80 %. Most of
Nordmarka would probably fall into this category.

Categories like "virgin forest" are not really suitable in a general
map. Also, I doubt anybody without special knowledge could judge it. In
Europe, including Scandinavia, there is only *very few* untouched forest
left, which for the ordinary visitor of the map would be rather
identified through its protection status and name than through it's
shade of green.

I hope this helps a bit in the discussion. When I mapped forest in
Norway so far, I always used "Natural = Wood", to stress that I found a
forest with a wide variety of tree ages and species, which generally
looked "nice", in the common sense ;-).

Hils, Stefan