[NUUG kart] Import of administrative boundaries and addresses from the national mapping agency in Norway

Gnonthgol gnonthgol at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 18:51:02 CEST 2013

The Norwegian mapping agency (kartverket) published some of their data
under CC BY on 2013-09-27. They require attribution "­(c) Kartverket"
where feasible. As we and they interpret this is that OSM can import the
data as long as we give attribution in the changeset source tag.

The first and easiest datasets to import is the administrative
boundaries and the addresses. We have discussed this import at the
Norwegian mailing list for over a week and I have created a set of osm
files for what I suggest to import that is located at <
http://fribyte.uib.no/osm/Kartverket_import_addresses_admin.tar.bz2 >.

The administrative boundaries in osm today are from previous imports
from the agency but are based processed vector maps for printing at a
low zoom level. The new data is much better quality. I even had to run
"simplify ways" on the data to make it manageable. The merging should be
possible to do for one man in a couple of days as it mostly involves
merging the tags of the ~450 relations, deleting the ways and nodes from
the older imports and manual merging of the features that have been
changed outside of those imports.

The addresses includes 1.7 million address points in Norway. The node
placement policy is the same as in OSM (a node at the front door if
known, else in the centre of the building). It is suspected that there
are not that many addresses or building in OSM in Norway that a manual
import is feasible. We will merge all ~450 municipalities one by one.
The cities might be split further. This will take multiple people to
help with as local knowledge is very helpful and the dataset is so large.

Any input or questions are very welcome. There are still more to discuss
with the other datasets before we can think of importing them.

Gnonthgol