[NUUG kart] [Imports] kartverket imports to OpenStreetMap

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 21:23:31 CEST 2013

2013/10/16 Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de>

> > I've noticed that somebody recently added a rule to distinguish
> > waterway=river from waterway=stream on the wiki page for stream, but
> > I'm not sure how/where that rule (which is related to how far an able
> > person can jump) became commonly accepted?
>
> I added this to that wiki page but it has been around for a long time
> (on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway since 2007).

Yes, the "rule of thumb" if you can jump over it, it is a stream, is there
for a long time. On the other hand this depends how long you can jump (I
guess it is safe to asume that a young person with average abilities can
jump 3-4 meters, the world record is like 8 something). IMHO our river
classification is rather poor at the moment, we have only 2 classes: river
and stream but 3 classes for artificial waterways (ditch, drain and canal).
My own mapping for rivers uses this rule: where I map there is an official
setting what is considered a river (based on different,
non-uniform/consistent rules and also on historic reasons), and everything
else (if natural) is a stream, regardless whether I could jump over it or
not.

cheers,
Martin