[NUUG fiksgatami] Accessing tile server

Matthew Somerville matthew at mysociety.org
Fri Feb 13 11:17:51 CET 2009

selvam velmurugan wrote:
> Meanwhile, have you/Matthew heard of fixitottawa
> (http://www.openottawa.org/category/fixit/) ?

Yes, only through screenshots and reports though, I don't think they've
got in touch.

> They've implemented a fixmystreet like site (layout looks similar)
> and was wondering if they'd adopted mysociety's source code or built
> from ground up.

It's built from the ground up.

selvam velmurugan wrote:
> But when searching for an area (e.x. slough), I get 'Unable to fetch
> map tiles from the tile server' error.

The tile server simply serves the UK FixMyStreet very high scale maps
(showing individual houses as you can see, so for local reporting better
  than Google Maps, and works without JavaScript too) - it's of no use
not in the UK, you will have to use your own maps of some sort.

> When I click on 'skip this step' in this page, I get forbidden error
> for http://services.mysociety.org/mapit

Similarly, MaPit is our internal service for matching UK postcodes to
locations, and for matching locations to administrative areas (the error
you're referring to is it trying to work out what council it's going to
report to, to let the user know). It's not really of any use in a non-UK
context, you will have to recreate the same functionality for your own
location.

ATB,
Matthew