[NUUG fiksgatami] [Website Feedback] Is the source for this site available?

Jonathan Hunt jonathan at huntdesign.co.nz
Wed Apr 27 10:10:23 CEST 2011

On 27/04/2011, at 7:47 PM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Jonathan Hunt]
>> The source for FixMyStreet NZ is at
>> http://drupal.org/project/fixmystreet
>> though it's not plug & play at the moment.
>
> Thank you.  May I ask why you choose to not port the original source
> from fixmystreet.com, but instead rewrite from scratch?  In Norway, we
> got the source ported and translated instead, and thus could get up
> and running in a few weeks. :)

I looked at the MySociety code, but I know PHP and not Perl, and I also saw that the MySociety code used Ordnance Survey maps not a more general system like Drupal. I was in favour of using a common framework rather than a distinct code-base.

> I was hoping to be able to lift your open311 implementation, but that
> was before I discovered we use different code bases. :)
>
>> I plan to release the Open311 support via
>> http://drupal.org/project/open311
>> but the Open311 component is still a work-in-progress and will
>> probably only make sense in the context of Drupal.
>
> Right.  I notice you have extended Open311 a bit.  Are you in touch
> with the open311 group to try to get the specification extended with
> your improvements?

The Open311 GeoReport v2 has just recently been frozen. I'll aim to implement that and any extensions and try them in the real world. If things work well I'll recommend the extensions as part of the next Open311 version.

>> I have been looking at
>> https://github.com/mheadd/PHPOpen311
>> but I'm not sure if I will use it or not.
>
> Do you know if there are any perl libraries around to work with
> Open311?

I'm not familiar with Perl libraries so don't know of Open311 options.

You've seen the open source instances at
http://wiki.open311.org/Main_Page
I presume?

Regards
Jonathan

Jonathan Hunt
jonathan at huntdesign.co.nz
http://huntdesign.co.nz
+64 21 529 250
PO Box 1062, Christchurch 8140, New Zealand