[NUUG kart] [Imports] N50 imports from Kartverket (The Norwegian Mapping Authority)

Tor torsm.news at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 23:50:48 CEST 2014

Hello,

* waterway=stream, waterway=river

The distinction between stream and river is rather arbitrary to begin
with. According to the OSM features wiki, a stream is "a
naturally-formed waterway that is too thin to be classed as a river. An
active, able-bodied person should be able to jump over it if trees along
it aren't too thick."

To decide if an N50 waterway is a stream or a river the following
criteria are used:
1) Local knowledge
2) Name ('bekk' means stream,
'elv' or 'å' both mean river; no name implies that it's only a stream)
3) N50 VANNBR tag where code 2 is 1–3m, code 3 is 3–15m and code 4 is
≥15m

* natural=wood, natural=scrub, landuse=forest

The convention in Norway is to tag areas covered by trees as
natural=wood. landuse=forest is reserved for managed forests. To know
for sure if a wood/forest is managed or not, either local knowledge or
other sources (such as aerial imagery) are needed. However, most
woodland in Norway are currently unmanaged, so if in doubt, natural=wood
would be the safe bet.

Tor