[NUUG kart] [OSM-legal-talk] [Imports] N50 imports from Kartverket (The Norwegian Mapping Authority)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jun 23 08:35:48 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 06/23/2014 02:30 AM, N/A N/A wrote:
> As far as I can see it ODbL section 4.3 would actually require OSM to
> credit them in one way or another,

Yes, but CC-BY does not say "in one way or another", it says:

"... in any reasonable manner requested by the Licensor"

which means that Kartverket get so say how they want to be attributed.
CC-BY goes on to say

"in any reasonable manner based on the medium, means, and context in
which You Share the Licensed Material."

but saying "the context is OSM and therefor the reasonable manner is to
list them on our copyright page" might be far-fetched.

That's why we usually double check with the licensor if our kind of
attribution is ok with them, instead of just saying "I don't see any
problems" and continuing ;)

Bye
Frederik