Article about Documaster in todays DN.

Thomas Sødring Thomas.Sodring at hioa.no
Tue May 23 12:33:33 CEST 2017

________________________________
From: nikita-noark-bounces at nuug.no <nikita-noark-bounces at nuug.no> on behalf of Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 12:00
To: nikita-noark at nuug.no
Subject: Re: Article about Documaster in todays DN.

[Thomas Sødring]
> An article about Documaster in todays DN.
>
> https://www.dn.no/grunder/2017/05/22/2048/Finans/grundere-gode-for-50-millioner

Seem to be money in archiving... :)

> I am really glad to see Documaster doing so well!

Definitely good to see more competition on the archive marked. :)

Is Documaster implementing the API specification we are implementing?  I
never quite understood that.

I doubt they are. There really is no requirement for any vendor to implement
n5v4. They all have final approval, so it's first when people start writing
specifications that say it has to be n5v4, when vendors will upgrade. Also
it is likely they will say that they guarantee compliance with n5v4 within 1
 year of the system going live. And people will accept this. RA will likely
allow them get a n5v4 stamp of approval based on a conformance letter
detailing what they don't implement. I think you Petter are the most strict
Noark person I know! Far more strict than RA :)

I do find it sad that they started to marked themselves as a free
software company, and then pulled the code away from me when I was
trying to get involved in developing it.
gave for NUUG.  The talk made me try to get involved in the development,
and I even got access to the code via github before they pulled access
away a few weeks after I started to try to build it.

I agree. Had they told me earlier that they would not stay committed to FOSS,
then I would have started up again myself, far earlier.

We must make sure the nikita implementation can not suffer a similar
fate.

I don't think that is possible. The project has been forked. The license clearly
says AGPL. Even if I were to shut down my version, I can't stop anybody else
from continuing with theirs. Also I have no commercial interest, so that helps.

> Dimitar donated a copy dots to me and this can be found here:
>
> https://github.com/tsodring/dots-noark5-core

What is the code license for this copy?

It says it there on the page I believe. But it's licensed under LGPL. I have
an email from Dimitar somewhere where he's OK that it can be under APL.

> I also built a web-based GUI n5 case-handling system on top of dots
> called edu-dots. That code was never published for some reason.

Anything we could reuse there?

No, not really. It's based on ZK. The only thing that's reuseable is the Java
mail client integration and you have a much better approach to handling that.

--
Happy hacking