Recordkeeping by design

Thomas Sødring tsodring at oslomet.no
Tue Jun 28 09:55:01 CEST 2022

I was recently informed about the following work  on implementing ‘records management by design’.

https://committee.iso.org/sites/tc46sc11/home/news/content-left-area/news-about-standarization-in-t-1/new-ad-hoc-group-formed-to-look.html

>From what I can tell, it is still early stages. Petter, David and myself wrote an article about using a record keeping approach to handling IoT data.

https://www.duo.uio.no/handle/10852/85220

While our work does not directly talk about a by-design approach, I do think that is basically what we are arguing for in that paper. We saw that some users of data processing systems saw Noark as archaic and not flexible. Given our work with nikita I really do not understand that opinion. It really shows the amount of ignorance that is floating around out there.

I must admit that the concept of archives-by-design has never really sat with me. I find that the concept builds upon a contempt for the continued use of records and furthers the established tradition of "throwing away records".

I do not know how the 'records management by design’ project will play out, but it makes a lot more sense to me. Especially when you consider it in the FOSS space. Developing a core description of recording keeping functionality and implementing that as FOSS would really be an interesting approach. Guess what, Noark is 'records management by design’ for Norwegian record keeping. I really believe that the National Archives shot themselves in the foot with their ignorance about Noark.

Slowly I am working on greqAPI, and I think Noark/nikita and greqAPI will be very good examples of records management by design. The problem with records management by design is that there are so many varying cultural and legal descriptions of what records management is.

I look forward to seeing what the ISO group develop.

 - Thomas