Recordkeeping by design

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Jun 28 10:35:02 CEST 2022

[Thomas Sødring]
> I was recently informed about the following work  on implementing
> ‘records management by design’.
>
> https://committee.iso.org/sites/tc46sc11/home/news/content-left-area/news-about-standarization-in-t-1/new-ad-hoc-group-formed-to-look.html
>
> From what I can tell, it is still early stages.

Any idea who the members of this 'Ad Hoc Group 8' is?  Sad to see it is
organized as part of ISO, where the specifications normally are only
available at a very high cost, and the standardization process is not
very transparent.  I experienced the latter first hand while trying to
work with Standard Norge and ISO in the OOXML standardization fiasco.

> While our work does not directly talk about a by-design approach, I do
> think that is basically what we are arguing for in that paper. We saw
> that some users of data processing systems saw Noark as archaic and
> not flexible. Given our work with nikita I really do not understand
> that opinion. It really shows the amount of ignorance that is floating
> around out there.

>From my experience the Noark specification is very flexible, and I have
been able to shooehorn in everything I have tried to get structured
according to the Noark 5 XML format so far.

> Slowly I am working on greqAPI, and I think Noark/nikita and greqAPI
> will be very good examples of records management by design. The
> problem with records management by design is that there are so many
> varying cultural and legal descriptions of what records management is.

As I understand it greqAPI is a english edition of the Noark 5 API with
less structural restrictions.  What about making greqAPI a compile time
option of Nikita, instead of creating a code base from scratch?

> I look forward to seeing what the ISO group develop.

Perhaps a good idea to get in touch with it and try to give input
directly instead of waiting to see what come out of it?

--
Happy hacking