[NUUG fiksgatami] FixMystreet in Norway?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Jan 5 12:37:37 CET 2011

[Tom Steinberg]
> Dear Petter,
>
> My colleague Matthew has gone through your requirements list, and he's
> happy that we can help with the specific points you raise (except
> local things like finding boundaries and doing the actual Norwegian
> text translation, which is obviously a problem for you).

Good to hear.  We will translate the .po file to Norwegian Bokmål and
track down a usable shape file with Norwegian administrative borders.
There are several sources for the latter, so we will have to discuss
with you what is best suited for the task.  We might have to use shape
files from the Norwegian mapping authority as a start, available from
<URL:http://www.statkart.no/nor/Land/Kart_og_produkter/N5000_-_gratis_oversiktskart/>
(the "Kommuner med havgrenser" map), while we wait for working shape
files for OpenStreetmap.org.

> Our estimate is that this will require 12 days work from our end.
> Normally we would charge £900 plus 20% tax for each of these days,
> but because FixMyStreet is a project we care about a lot we'd be
> willing to reduce it to £600 plus tax, making for £8640.

We will start right away to gather enough funding for that.  We only
have a fraction available right now, but I hope earlier funding
promises will fill up the missing part. :)

> If you'd like we can supply a more detailed list of responses to
> each of your points - please let me know.

Yes, please.  It would be a good start for a more detailed project
plan, and make sure we have a common understanding of what need to be
done.

The goal of course is to get a working fixmystreet implementation for
Norway, and the specific details to get there need to be worked out.

These were the points a wrote in November.  I expect the list might
need adjustment based on input from Matthew.  I also am interested in
the priority order for the tasks to be done.

  - Set up a MaPit service using Norwegian map data and non-british
    coordinates (preferably GPS coordinates).

  - Use OpenLayers to draw the map and collect the location info. Got
    some patches for this on <URL: http://www.fiksgatami.no/ >.

  - Change FixMyStreet to use non-british coordinates (preferably GPS
    coordinates). Got some incomplete patches for this on <URL:
    http://www.fiksgatami.no/ >.

  - Get a Shape file export from OpenStreetmap.org where the
    administrative border information is provied as polygons instead
    of lines. See

  - Make sure all user-visible texts in FixMyStreet is translatable.

  - Translate the rest of fixmystreet to Norwegian Bokmål.

  - Set up a git repository for the test code we use on fiksgatami.no.

  - Figure out how requests find their way to the correct authority,
    and set up some test routes to for example Oslo.

It is important for that the needed changes become part of the
official fixmystreet source code used in UK and elsewhere, to reduce
the upgrade issues in the future.

Happy hacking,