Importing Noark 5 extraction? (Was: New release of nikita. Version 0.6)

Thomas Sødring tsodring at oslomet.no
Fri Aug 20 08:48:33 CEST 2021

On 8/20/21 8:31 AM, Ole Aamot wrote:

>> On Aug 20, 2021, at 8:16 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
>>
>> [Ole Aamot]
>>> How do I begin export and import from arkivstruktur.xml in Nikita
>>> 0.6.0?
>> The 'import-uttrekk' script from noark5-tester is able to import
>> arkivstruktur.xml generated by 'export-all --xml' in the same package.
>> With some work it should be able to import other variants too  I
>> have not had much test data to work on, so I focused on the latest Noark
>> 5 format so far.
> Is export/import yet a part in the API of Nikita 0.6.0, Thomas?

The short answer to that question is no. The long answer to that
question is that the nikita project has decided to use Petters tool for
import and export. The reason for this is software decoupling and the
amount of human resources in the project. Petters tool means that other
vendors can test import and export on and between their systems. Also
making the import and export tool independent of nikita means that we
can not inadvertently add limitations of the Noark API standard in
nikita. So it also functions as a quality assurance tool. Petters tool
is great to help push standardisation.

> Yesterday I have begun work on depot generation in JavaScript in
>
> https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgitlab.com%2FOsloMet-ABI%2Fnikita-noark5-core%2F-%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Fnikita-noark5-core%2Fweb%2Fdepot.html&amp;data=04%7C01%7Ctsodring%40oslomet.no%7C14cf0f329eae4db24b4808d963a424d6%7Cfec81f12628645508911f446fcdafa1f%7C0%7C0%7C637650378907290380%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=KYafRVIvUJG8uHQQS0SH%2Bpw1TxgQm6fOtEj5l09zEjY%3D&amp;reserved=0
> https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgitlab.com%2FOsloMet-ABI%2Fnikita-noark5-core%2F-%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Fnikita-noark5-core%2Fweb%2Fdependencies%2Finternal%2Fdepot.js&amp;data=04%7C01%7Ctsodring%40oslomet.no%7C14cf0f329eae4db24b4808d963a424d6%7Cfec81f12628645508911f446fcdafa1f%7C0%7C0%7C637650378907295372%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=SCjTDSqcxCWx7onrMplQBj8crOSMQ%2BLtrgM2FH3LVcc%3D&amp;reserved=0
I hate the way Microsoft and outlook obfuscate all links! I guess
Microsoft get to find out which links users follow.

> So far I not aware of the necessary API hooks for exporting a complete “depot” archive in one go or an API method to import archives based on a set of XSD/XML files.
>
> noark5-tester is obviously well-tested and works well with Python, but will a hook for exporting a full depot archive in XSD/XML be implemented with the API in Java?

We have not considered that question yet. Creating an extraction can
take from minutes to hours so I think the expected use case should be
that a user requests a server to create an extraction for it. Then when
the extraction is complete the user is notified that it is available for
downloading.  I hope at some stage to be able to have extraction
capabilities for students so they can download an extraction of things
they have done.

Remember nikita is an implementation of a standard
(https://github.com/arkivverket/noark5-tjenestegrensesnitt-standard). If
that standard requires that is possible to start creating an extraction
or otherwise specifies how it should be done, then we will implement it.
I am extremely careful when it comes adding functionality that is not
standardised, and it is something we discuss in detail. we have added
functionality to nikita that is not in the standard *where* we believe
the standard intends the functionality should be there but lacks a
description.

There is a difference between nikita GUI and nikita API. The nikita GUI
is a tool I use for teaching students about recording keeping and
archival principles and badly needs to be updated. I hope to spend some
time over the autumn fixing the GUI a little. More and more I feel that
we should take the GUI code out of codebase and put it into it's own
project.

  - Thomas